Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Hymn Number 2 - Chief of Awesome

(This week 1 Timothy 1:12-17 is the Epistle, which gives us the classic hymn Chief of Sinners. This is not quite how it goes)

Chief of Awesome though I be
You can come to Church with Me
Just don't come into my pew
I don't want to talk to you
Let me have my holy time
Telling god I am so fine

Oh how worthy of his love
Are My works for god above
They have earned his favor now
I'll be blessed by him and how
Cause God knows I am so cool
See My stuff and start to drool

What is this you're still around?
Get back to your side of town.
You don't belong here with Me
I'm too good for you, you see.
Maybe when you make some cash
You'll be welcomed here at last.

Chief of awesome though I be
I'll chat condisendingly
with the folks who stop on by
unless their cash flow is high
Then eagerly bid them join
and donate a bit of coin

And so then My Church will grow
Filled with high and not the low
Just the best in town will do
Hoity-Toity through and through
See now how full are our vaults
In My own self-righteous cult

No comments: